Friday


Hello, I'm Dyan

Here... I am and what drives me is my love for my husband Michael ('M'), this great city, PhiladelphiaArt, Ideas, Words, Events, 'The Cute', 'The Quirky', and 'The Next' something to be explored.

The name 'Here and Next' wasn't my 1st or 101st choice, but evolved as my favorite. The concept came about while shooting pictures in the city for a Philly Photo event. Of the 72 photographs taken, the one that 'clicked' for me was of a woman on the move, which was then incorporated into the original header.


The image was taken from the steps of the Bellevue on Broad Street, a busy location with people coming and going... all trying to get from Point A to Point B... everyone preoccupied in their moment.

And it was here and the anticipation of the next that intrigued me.

For more about Here and Next...



I've always been intrigued with Art... Photography, Design, Color, Ideas: concrete and conceptual, brillant 'Eye Candy', things well executed, and slightly off center.

It was in art school, Temple University's Tyler School of Art, where I met my husband. We met during the last 3 months of school. It was fate that brought us together.

I was in the silkscreen room working on some prints, when Michael, stopped and ask me if I'd like to go to a movie with him that evening. His date cancelled at the last minute. He must have been desperate to see that movie to ask me, a total stranger, out on a date... and even stranger that I would say yes (and without a clue to the movie we'd be seeing).

Well, the movie turned out to be...War and Peace... the 7 hour Russian version! It played at the TLA (Theatre of Living Arts) in Philadelphia. The hours led into the weekend, into the remaining months of school, then on to California where 'M' did his graduate work at the San Francisco Art Institute with me auditing most of his classes.

Eventually, we headed back East. I really missed the changing  seasons and the pace of things here, among other things. We settled in Jenkintown, PA a wonderful small town just 30 minutes outside of Philadelphia where Michael made great paintings and I taught Art and earned graduate credits from UARTS (The University of The Arts) in Philadelphia.

Several years ago we came across a large brick factory type building in a residential area, located in the city of Philadelphia. We had always rented, but for many years, wished for a place of our own. Again it was 'Fate' that allowed us to purchase the building after it had been sold and unsold 3 times in a matter of weeks. Originally, she had been an ice company, then furniture manufacturing and warehouse, and finally, a wholesale candy distributor.

Since then, Michael, has removed, almost single-handedly, over 70 tons from her interior uncovering a beautiful shell with lots of potential!

Together we've always lived in unconventional spaces.

First we lived in Philadelphia on Arch Street before the revitalization, a loft space without amenities, like a kitchen and heat after 5PM... then San Francisco, where we converted a corner grocery store on Leavenworth Street into our living area and studios, and in Jenkintown, on Greenwood Avenue where we leased the second and third floors that had once been a candy factory, making chocolates for the first floor candy store and other locations.

For two people of modest size, it's surprising that we both have this need and desire for large open spaces.

Hopefully, in the not too distant future, all will be possible. 

In the meantime, as I wait for my studio and living space to be built, this blog will act as my creative outlet.

I welcome your thoughts and experiences. 
Leave a comment or mail me at: hereandnext@hotmail.com

'Til next we meet...Dyan